When manufacturers design products, it is often with a specific purpose in mind. For example, healthcare experts create prescription drugs to treat illnesses, and earplugs are supposed to block sound to protect eardrums. In most cases, these products do their jobs. However, for one reason or another, some are defective and lead to injuries or, in extreme cases, death.
Product liability cases involve products that have proven to be unreasonably dangerous when someone uses them as instructed for their intended purposes. These products can range from prescription drugs and medical devices to automobile parts like airbags. Either way, defective products pose dangerous and potentially fatal risks.
In most product liability cases, you go up against large companies with vast resources and seasoned legal counsel. For many, going up against these organizations can be daunting. Many attorneys do not possess the legal prowess or the experience with product liability claims to go up against these companies.
At Gainsburgh, Benjamin, David, Meunier & Warshauer, L.L.C., our New Orleans personal injury attorneys’ posses the skills of product liability claims. Our team has the experience and knowledge to effectively litigate against an opponent’s resources, legal knowledge, and trial skills.
What is a Defective Product?
A defective product is any product that has either a design defect or a manufacturing defect. For design defects, the design of a product has a defect that makes the product dangerous to use as intended. For manufacturing defects, the product was designed correctly, but something went wrong during the manufacturing process that made the product dangerous.
Our team of attorneys will work diligently to investigate your claim to accurately find where the defect occurred in production and distribution.
Types Of Defective Products
Either through poor design or improper manufacturing, a product can be defective and injure someone. While these cases are unfortunate, they do happen more often than you might think.
Gainsburgh, Benjamin, David, Meunier & Warshauer, L.L.C. handles product liability cases involving medical devices, prescription drugs, household items, and more. Each case varies and carries its own share of difficulties. Some of the most common that our New Orleans law firm handles include:
- Medical Device
- Allergan Biocell Implant Recall: anaplastic large-cell lymphoma cancer risk
- Hip implants: failures of metal-on-metal devices, including DePuy ASR implant and Stryker Rejuvenate or ABG II implant devices
- Pelvic mesh: complications from mesh implants
- Pharmaceutical Drugs
- Belviq (lorcaserin) -undisclosed cancer risk
- Elmiron (pentosan polysulfate sodium) – undisclosed risk of retinal maculopathy or long-term vision loss/impairment.
- Taxotere permanent alopecia – hair loss
- Valsartan, Losartan, Irbesartan -tainted with cancer-causing substances NDMA, NDEA, NMBA
- Zantac and Ranitidine -undisclosed cancer risk
- Toxic chemicals and pesticides
- Roundup weed killer (linked to development of Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma)
- 3M Combat Earplugs : development of permanent hearing loss from defective military earplugs
- Talc development of ovarian cancer from use of talcum powder products manufactured by Johnson & Johnson
- Machinery and Household Tools
- Motor Vehicles airbags, autonomous / self-driving vehicle malfunction, ignition switch, seat belts, tires, etc
Product liability claims can vary significantly. Fortunately, our product liability attorneys have years of experience handling these cases, securing compensation for the damages sustained. We will investigate where the defect occurred and thoroughly prepare your claim to give us an advantage in the legal process.
If you suffered an injury due to a defective product, contact Gainsburgh, Benjamin, David, Meunier & Warshauer, L.L.C., and schedule a consultation.