When manufacturers design products, it is often with a specific purpose in mind. For example, pharmaceutical companies manufacture prescription drugs to treat illnesses. In most cases, these products do their jobs. However, for one reason or another, some are defective and lead to injuries or, in extreme cases, death.
Product liability cases involve products that have proven to be unreasonably dangerous when someone uses them as instructed for their intended purposes. These products can range from prescription drugs and medical devices to automobile parts like airbags. Either way, defective products pose dangerous and potentially fatal risks.
In most product liability cases, you go up against large companies with vast resources and seasoned legal counsel. For many, going up against these organizations can be daunting. Many attorneys do not possess the legal prowess or the experience with product liability claims to go up against these companies.
At Gainsburgh, Benjamin, David, Meunier & Warshauer, L.L.C., our personal injury attorneys possess the skills necessary to pursue your product liability claims. Our team has the legal knowledge and trial experience to effectively litigate against an opponent’s resources.
What is a Defective Product?
A defective product is a product that has a design defect, manufacturing defect, or marketing defect. For design defects, the design of a product has a defect that makes the product dangerous to use as intended. For manufacturing defects, the product was designed correctly, but something went wrong during the manufacturing process that made the product dangerous. Marketing defects usually involve a product manufacturer’s failure to adequately warn consumers of the dangers associated with the use of their products or adequately instruct consumers on how to use their products safely.
Our team of attorneys will work diligently to investigate your claim to accurately find where the defect occurred in production and distribution.
Types Of Defective Products
Gainsburgh, Benjamin, David, Meunier & Warshauer, L.L.C. handles product liability cases involving medical devices, prescription drugs, household items, and more. Each case varies and carries its own share of difficulties. Some of the most common that our law firm handles include:
- Medical Device
- Allergan Biocell Implant Recall: risk of breast implant-associated anaplastic large-cell lymphoma cancer risk
- Hip implants: failures of metal-on-metal devices, including DePuy ASR implant and Stryker Rejuvenate or ABG II implant devices
- Pelvic mesh: complications from mesh implants
- Pharmaceutical Drugs
- Belviq (lorcaserin) – cancer risk
- Elmiron (pentosan polysulfate sodium) – risk of retinal maculopathy or long-term vision loss/impairment.
- Taxotere – risk of permanent alopecia (hair loss)
- Valsartan, Losartan, Irbesartan – tainted with cancer-causing substances NDMA, NDEA, NMBA
- Zantac and Ranitidine – formation of cancer-causing substances
- Other Defective Products
- 3M Combat Earplugs : risk of permanent hearing loss or tinnitus (ringing or buzzing noise in ears) from defective military earplugs
- Talc : ovarian cancer risk from use of talcum powder products
- Machinery and Household Tools
- Roundup weed killer : cancer risk, specifically Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
- Motor Vehicles : airbags, autonomous / self-driving vehicle malfunction, ignition switch, seat belts, tires, etc.
Product liability claims can vary significantly. Fortunately, our product liability attorneys have years of experience handling these cases andsecuring compensation for the damages sustained.
If you suffered an injury due to a defective product, contact Gainsburgh, Benjamin, David, Meunier & Warshauer, L.L.C., and schedule a consultation.